Sunday, October 17, 2010

Part Two

So where was I o' ya after my laundry I hit the road.  I have more room in my car now that I sorted out stuff to put in my top carrier and got rid of both bags of wood. 
  So off I headed on the I-90, and I want to tell you something exciting that happened but to bad there was nothing.  Actually right when I crossed into Minnesota I first thought dang I didn't get a picture of the sign( it came up to fast and was a rock, how was I suppose to know that was their welcome sign) and then my second thought was am I in Iowa already, cause all I saw was corn fields.  At first I thought these were dead cornfields but apparently not cause at night they were cutting them and trucks were being loaded.  So anyways I looked to my left-cornfields, I look to my right-cornfields I saw more cornfields today then I have probably seen in my whole life span. 
  So here I was driving down the freeway and decided O' theres a National Monument in Minnesota only 30 miles out of my way (60 road trip) so I hurry up and get off onto the MN-23 and though it was a nice drive it was only all cornfields.
  So I get to Pipestone NM ( not knowing what kind of National Monument it was) and actually it was pretty cool.  Its actually scared ground to the Indians(all different tribes) that use the pipestone( the red rock) to make their peace or ceremonial pipes out of.  Indians today still quarry( have a piece of area that they dig for pipestone).  Some of the work that they do is really pretty but very expensive ( well at least to me anyways).  It's all hand carved so I would charge alot to.  All my ass could afford was a keychain to scrapbook later on.  But it was very interesting and to know they can still go there today.
  They have a path to a waterfall there but since it was so cold I opted out, sorry folks I chose warmth over pictures.  I did get out and take pictures of these rocks called the Three Maidens which the Indians say that the Maidens require you to make offerings to them before you can quarry for pipestone.
  The visitor center has alot of information and there was even a guy named Travis there that was making pipes and other stuff and you can watch him doing it.
  So after I left I decided to head out and take the US-75 back to the I-90.  Well here was a change of pace road.  So first I drive and I see cornfields of course but then BAM a whole bunch of Bison in a fields right in the middle of these cornfields.  So I go to pull over and then where I decided to pull over(to turn around and take pictures) is the tiniest Church I have ever seen.  I thought I would not fit but I did and it's cute inside.  It has 4 pews in it with bibles and a welcome sign in sheet.  All this right in the middle of all these cornfields.  Needless to say I was pretty excited I got to see something new.  Outside of the church was two picnic benches ( I guess so you can sit and watch the corn grow).  Both things are not far outside of the town of Luverne,MN so even if you are just on I-90 you can get off and drive maybe 3 miles outside of town and they will be on your left, you would see the church 1st and then the bison 2nd if coming from I-90.
  So after taking some pictures I headed back on the road.  Sorry folks nothing more exciting happened.  I wish that something did but all it was was cornfields and then when it got dark I could still make out that all there was was cornfields.  I did see some farmers harvesting at night so once in awhile I saw lights out there but other then that nothing.
  O' wait welcome to Amish country.  I saw my first caution Amish buggy sign and I was so excited.  I haven't seen one of those since I was in Wisconsin after High School. 
  I do want to make a note for those that don't know about the stamp books or what im talking about.  When I was little my parents started taking us each summer to different National Parks, Monuments, Historical Sites and Recreation Areas.  There is a National Passport Book that when you go to these places you get your book stamped.  My goal is to one day see them all.  There is no prize or award for seeing them all just a goal for myself.  I always say God can't take me until I get my last stamp.
  Thought of the day: Why make a to do list when you forget to do everything on the list.  I stopped at walmart to get some stuff and the one thing I needed the most-conditioner was the one thing I forgot to get.  I need to make a to do list just to remind me to read my real to do list.  So back to Walmart I will go.Ps and another thing (men maybe you can explain this to me) why is it that gas for regular unleaded is more expensive then super unleaded or xtra blend? And can I put super unleaded in my Kia 2001 Sportage?  Seriously I would like to know cause out here Regular unleaded is the more expensive.
Miles Gone Today 415

see the gas prices? someone help me

what I saw all day driving Corn fields

a canoe made out of pipestone

Pipes made out of Pipestone( not for smoking weed folks)

Ceremonial Pipes

no comment :)

The Three Maidens

a big pond behind the Three Maidens

hey guess what more corn fields

Bison

Big Bison

baby Bison

Tiny Church

When you walk in this is what you see

and this is the view if you walk to the front and turn around

the town of Luverne must smell the Bison cause they even made this sign

Amish Country now



Iowa welcomes us

No comments:

Post a Comment