Thursday, November 11, 2010

Looking Back on my trip

This blog entry is so hard for me to write.  The last couple of days on my trip I kept thinking to myself what am I going to write to everyone who has gone on this journey with me.  I know that this is definitely not the last journey I will go on but for it to end makes me so sad.  Even now I'm getting teary-eyed just knowing that its over.
 I have had the time of my life.  I was thinking the other day while driving that if I was to be taken from this Earth at anytime that I would have gone happy.  Even without all the stamps in my book.  I feel so lucky to have gone on this trip and completed a major item on my bucket list.  I don't know if I will be able to write everything I feel or want to say but I will try.  Honestly I feel like I just lost a best friend or something.  I guess you can say the road is in my heart or my heart belongs on the road.  If I hadn't run out of money I would still be out there seeing the sites.
  For those of you who say that you could never do this- YOUR WRONG-YOU CAN!  Look at me I'm a  33 year old female that just went around the USA on a roadtrip ALONE.  I camped out most of the time and yes stayed in motels sometimes too.  But I did it and never once was I like I want to turn back. 
  Thinking about what I saw makes me proud.  Think about it I (or we since you all have read along and basically kept me going) have seen 25 states(that's including the 6 I just drove through,including Nevada) and visited 29 National Park.  I drove 9,153 miles all together.  My only major weapon of defense was a little knife that I never used.  Sure I got into a fender bender and that bummed me out for a day but it could have been a lot worse.  For driving that far think about it.  I never got a flat tire, I only killed one animal, didn't have car problems and only damaged my car twice haha.  Not bad I think. 
  So if you have never left your backyard,city,county or state- DO IT.  There is a whole world out there to explore.  I feel like I barely grazed the tip of it, and had a blast doing it.  This isn't the end of my travels, its just a break.  If I could make a living exploring the USA I would.  In almost 2 months I made a lifetime of memories. 
  I want to give a big THANKYOU to my family and friends for you all putting me up and showing me around and for the strangers that I met along the way that made my trip more enjoyable.  For those of you who are family,friends,people I just met and gave my blog address to or people who have heard about my blog from others.  THANKYOU- thank you for taking the time out of your busy lives to read about my journey and to come along with me.  I want to also say thanks for your emails,comments,texts and calls. 
  Looking back I would still say that Crater Lake was a big highlight in my trip and that Iowa and South Dakota have the most friendliest people.  They treat you like they have known you forever.  Yet everywhere I have been will hold dear to me. 
  Now onto a whole new world of living in a new state, a new town and eventually a new job.  So what am I going to do now you wonder?  Well first I have to organize and unpack my things in my new room and then give my car a much needed bath.  After that its job searching time. 
  But in my heart am already planning my next road trip.  I guess the travel bug will never leave me.
Remember its not the end just a break-With a heart full of memories-Thank You All Again
Darlene

1 comment:

  1. Darlene, I'm so glad I got to follow you along the way and be one of your stops!! I love seeing all the things that I may never see but now I've seen it because of you. You are one brave girl and we love ya, yarn!! I'll be praying for some comfort and stability the next couple months for you while you get settled into your "new" journey!! I'll still be following you (can't lose me now)!!

    ReplyDelete