Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hwy 299 and Rte 139 McArthur-Burney Falls

First off I would like us to bow our heads and say a little prayer to the Chimpmuk who became my 1st casualty on this trip when he decided to cross the double yellow line in the highway right in front of my car's tires.  May you rest in peace Alvin.
  Second don't trust mapquest when it comes to highways with 1 lane.  ( Aunt Glenna I may be alittle late if mapquest is wrong again).  It said that it would take 5 hours to get to Tionesta from my Uncle's, and ya I made a stop but I was not there very long and it still took me forever to get here.
  Anyways..I did have a nice drive and went through a lot of small towns.  I'm in Tionesta outside of Tulelake about 20 miles at a rv place called Eagle's Nest Rv Park.  It's not bad for $14 a night.  It does have showers and laundry.  I'm parked next to some rv's so I feel better about that.  Its quiet which I like.  The only thing that sucks is that its high fire season so we are not allowed to have campfires.  I mean really whats the point in camping if you cant have a fire.  I love campfires.  The town is an Indian town, not very big.  The people are really friendly.  They have a tiny General Store and that's even stretching it.  Its more for just getting ice and a drink.  An older lady runs it and its a store, gas station, bar and deli. And besides 2 rv parks and some houses that's it for the town.
  On my way here I stopped at a California State Park called McArthur-Burney Falls.  It's outside of the  town Burney on Hwy 89, about 6 miles one way.  They have a tiny visitor center that shows a short film about the Falls and the campground areas there.  Back in the day the CCC Boys (Civilian Conservation Corp) made the path leading to the bottom of the Falls and the fire pits in the campgrounds, along with a bridge and a barn.  It cost $8.00 for a day use pass.  Was it worth it? Not today.  The path leading down to the falls was closed for repairs (something the lady taking the money should tell people) .  All I got to see today was the top of the falls.  There is also access to Lake Britton from there but I didn't go down to it.  In the film the Falls looks like it would be really pretty to see. 
  I got here at 5pm, after leaving Sacramento at 930am.  I set up camp and im ready to go exploring tomorrow at the Lava Beds NM.  I cant wait.
  O almost forgot Thank Goodness for slow roads cause a deer decided to cross in front of me.  I almost thought my trip was over and another Kia was a goner.
And last but definitely not least I want to thank my Uncle and Aunt for putting me up and letting me chill with them.  Thanks and love you both.  ( and Lisa don't kill me cause of the picture)
Miles Gone Today: 352


Uncle Robert and Aunt Lisa

My car with the car carrier on it Thanks Uncle Robert


 Burney Falls in California off Hwy 89

Me at Burney Falls

Road people made out of different stuff on Rte 139 they are called garik the brave,9/11,and /Nam Rider

My first campsite of the trip in Tionesta,CA

view from my campsite

my dinner/lunch or is it lunch/dinner


No comments:

Post a Comment